TunesViewer is a small, easy to use program to access iTunes-University
media and podcasts in Linux.
- Direct searching, browsing, and downloading.
- Supports itunes-University login, to download students-and-staff-only media.
- Reveals the standard rss-podcast-feed of the itunes-podcasts, for use in any podcast software.
- Includes the option to set itself as default protocol handler, to go directly from the “loading itunes-U…” page to viewing with TunesViewer.
- Automatic podcast updates, auto-downloads and transfers -
This program isn’t a general-purpose podcast manager, but it can add podcasts to rhythmbox/gpodder/amarok/etc.
- iTunes Store – This will not let you connect to iTunes store accounts or buy anything. (This includes private iTunesU courses that require an enrollment key, an Apple ID, and an iPad/iPhone.)
Minimum System Requirements:
Linux: Tunesviewer works well even on older computers, but you must have pygtk >= 2.16 and lxml available. This shouldn’t be a problem for recent versions of Ubuntu, Fedora etc, these requirements should install automatically.
Android: 2.2 or later is recommended. The latest version (1.3) has improved support for Android 4.x, in addition to security improvements.
- Download the install package: (.deb installer for Ubuntu/Debian based operating systems, .rpm installer for Fedora/Red Hat based operating systems.)
- Open the package and it should install. After installing, you should see TunesViewer on your Applications – Internet menu.
- Important post-installation setup: Go to TunesViewer preferences (in the Edit menu), and select the download-folder. Choose the folder you want to download to. If you select your Rhythmbox/Amarok library directory they should automatically add to your library.
You can install the latest version from F-Droid store – from the F-Droid app, search for Tunesviewer and install.
If you find an app that looks just like this on Google Play, know that it is an unofficial build and is NOT endorsed by the Tunesviewer authors. There is no official build on Google Play, all users are recommended to use the free official version on F-droid.
Older versions may be found here. Please do not link directly to the tunesviewer-VERSION.apk or tunesviewer-VERSION.deb files. Instead, link to the sourceforge project page or this main-page, which lists the current latest version.